Tuesday, September 30, 2008

MAJOR SNOWSTORM!!!!!!

The snow started on Saturday, and by Sunday morning 6 inches had fallen! As we had a pot-luck luncheon scheduled at church, (every 5th Sunday of the month)I had cooked my ham and was convinced, looking out the window, that NOBOBY would show up. Being a naive "southerner", WHAT was I thinking? I'm in Inuvik, if snow stopped anything we would do nothing. Having cooked dinner on Saturday night for my friends visiting from BC, my newest friend,(and soulmate)Lorraine( a New Brunswicker and Treasurer of our church} picked me up, and we cautiously navigated the roads to Church of the Ascension. Jan and Sonya, my BC friends ,had already arrived, and the numbers for the service were healthy- about 70 people! I did the children's focus with our new "Birthday Bear" named Eli- meaning Ascension. The kids(most I've had yet} surrounded me at the piano and sang their little hearts out to "Jesus Loves Me". Of course they are all getting to know me well- now that I have have them twice weekly for music class at the school.

After church- still very stormy- I watched with fascination, for 45 minutes as the children behind my apartment worked diligently to make a "Snow Maze". They worked forever with many sized shovels to create an interesting weaving path through the snow. I would keep looking out, and after about 2 hours, the children threw down their shovels, and walked the maze they had created, looking like"soldiers". It was one of the most amazing things I had seen, and thought to myself that THIS was the kind of activity children should be involved in-giving them fresh air, exercise, and a "sense" of purpose and accomplishment. Tears fell down my cheeks, as I watched their joy, I knew then, more than ever, why I was called to the North!

More later from SNOWY INUVIK!!

1 comment:

David P said...

Hi Cynthia,

A quick word to remind everyone out there of the love and support from the people of St. John's, Ancaster. Thanks for bringing us along by sharing your work with us in this wonderful way... you describe your experiences so beautifully! We continue to be blessed by Paul's ministry with us, and our prayers are with you both.

David P