Sunday, September 7, 2008

INCREDIBLE FIRST FULL WEEKIN THIS "WARM" PLACE

Since my last posting, I have had an incredible 5 days. At schhol, the students continue to amaze me with their innate talents and thirst for knowledge. Music seems to speak to their core, and the learning environment and sheer joy on their faces takes me back to my initial 4 years of teaching in my native province- Newfoundland.It is as if I have come "full" circle, when in fact I have encountered an amazing detour.

The church community is wonderful.I haven't met the rector yet, as he is away this month for annual vacation. We had chatted over the summer, and he sent me a list of hymns etc. the parish would likely know. Because they had all been singing along to"canned" music since his arrival 4 years ago,the "norm" was country gospel. That scared me!!. Anyway, looking around atsome resources in the parish, I gathered that people had certaily sung traditional Anglican hymns in the past, plus there are a number of Newfoudlanders in the congregation. Today was awesome- people sang their hearts out.I was so spiritually moved!

The fall colors of gold are brilliant now. I have made many new friends in a short time, and my heart was warmed on the weekend when in the markets and on the street I heard calls from my students of only 4 days "Hi Mrs. M". I told them at school that would be easier to remember!

I'll sign off for now. In addition to a full teaching day tomorrow of 8 classes, including Kindergarten Gym!! I have to be at school by 8 as I have signed for the year to help with the "Breakfast Club", which serves a nutritious breakfast to students who need this. This is a place of true "warmth". No -50 degree temperatures will be able to invade this-I AM CERTAIN!

2 comments:

Elaine Polley said...

Hi, Cynthia,

It sounds as if you're having a fabulous time. I'm so glad. Your news almost makes me want to leave Paris and come to Inuvik (well, only almost). Hurry and write more.

Lots of love,

Elaine

Elaine Polley said...

Quick! We need more news to munch on!

Love,

Elaine