Tuesday, September 16, 2008

BUSY BUT SO REWARDING!!!!!

A very heavy frost overnight on Sunday has now all but eliminated the gold leaves from the trees. There is still some slight hints of red on low growing bushes. Sunrise is now getting later by 4 minutes a day, so I can see a real difference each morning when I head out for school. When we have sunny days, which has been often since I arrived, the sun shines brilliantly and feels very warm on my face. The sunsets here are beautiful with the gold of the setting sun and the the bright reds in the sky.

I simply can't believe that I have only today now been for 3 weeks! So much has happened in such a short time. I continue to be literally "struck" by the unspoiled freshness of most of the students. The aren't jaded, and still have that "child-like" wonder about things. Our new music series has just arrived, and all the children in all grades feel very proud in using their new books. I had researched the material-leading edge quality, before coming here and persuaded the principal to go for the whole thing! I had purchased my own master set before arriving, and started using the material as soon as I got here The students love it- it is super creative, has fabulous listing components, and is topically very positive and current. It is Canadian, and is by far the best music education resource I have used in my entire teaching career.
The staff here is excellent- hard working and very dedicated. I think they are all just great.

I was called to a meeting this week with the Executive Director the the Northern Arts and Culture centre in Yellowknife. They have an excellent lineup of great performers this year, and I will be helping to co-ordinate the Inuvik portions plus arrange school concerts. Sounds very exciting.

We had a big staff meeting today, and for the next 3 days we are at a teachers conference/professional development. We all have to sit on a major school committee, plus smaller groups. My big focus will be part of the community outreach. Our first project- a community "feast" will be on October 8th!! I'm loving being a part of the breakfast club, and enjoy seeing the kids scarfing down so much nutritious food.

I'm starting a school choir next week, and a church choir this week. Last Sunday I did the children's focus and for the St. John's readers of this I am going to get a birthday bear.

I will look forward to hearing from any of you. I feel very fortunate to have been given this opportunity, and celebrate daily the chance to learn so many new things.As my title of this post says, I am very busy, but am living a very rewarding experience.

4 comments:

Elaine Polley said...

Hi, Cynthia,

Your life in Inuvik sounds jam-packed! So glad you're loving it all! I so much look forward to your latest news and was delighted to find your new entry this morning.

Love,

Elaine

stephanie said...

Mom,

You continue to completely astound me. I am so proud of you! It would appear that after so many, long years - you have finally 'arrived'. I will try to give you a ring this evening from work in order to get caught up!

Love,

steph

Lynne Corfield said...

Hi Cynthia
I have finally found my way to your blog and it is an exciting read! You are loving life and all the new challenges and opportunities to learn. . .way to go!! We miss you around here; I miss you around here! Sounds like your days are packed with new things to do and that you are giving your ALL to this experience and this community! I can jsut imagine you with all those kids and how they will respond to your talents and gift of music! They are richly blessed. Very proud of you my friend! I will be proud of me too if this manages to post (this time)!
Lots of love, Lynne

Roma said...

Hi Sis,
You do seem incredibly busy, but incredibly alive as well. I like the butterfly persona much better, than Iago!(ha)Glad I remembered the blog address again!Talk to you soon,
Roma