Thursday, September 25, 2008

UPDATE!!

I can't believe it has been 10 days tomorrow since I last posted to this. I have been so busy, and just got in from a 13 hour day, so will keep this short.

Since my last writing I attended a mandated BDEC (Beaufort Delta Education Council)conference for all teachers with this School Board. This included teachers from Inuvik, Aklavik, Paulatuk, Sach's Harbour, Holman, Tsiigehtchic, Fort McPherson, and Tuktoyaktuk! The conference was here at the high school and was just fabulous. The keynote speaker and clinicians were unbelievable. I attended 2 amazing sessions on Aboriginal Culture, just wonderful! I also attended fabulous sessions given by the keynote speaker on "Making every day a positive day" and "Laughter in your school". They were all so motivational. As well I attended some leading edge "literacy" workshops for the Kindergarten Learner! I have rarely, if ever, seen SUCH a group of consummate professionals. The majority of teachers here would be "baby boomers" who are "young" retired teachers in their 40's and 50's, who have a wealth of experience and want a new challenge- people who have decided to "refire" not "retire".( Elaine-I know you are reading my blog. Met a teacher who went to Spencer. Her maiden name was Debbie Hallet- she remembered Cheryl)

Last Saturday I attended my first big "social" event- a fundraising dinner at the Legion. Met tons of people from everywhere-Hong Kong, Toronto, Lebanon, Cape Breton and yes PEI. I now have another network apart from school and church and picked up some adult piano students as well. I haven't begun that yet!! The demand here is huge, and NO teachers. I can only accept limited numbers for sure. I have a waiting list at the school.

Other than that it has been steady and HAPPY in the classroom. I continue to love my work. We had "meet the teacher" last night and I met some fascinating people.

Can't write anymore now. I have friends arriving from BC tomorrow, and am looking forward to seeing them-Jan Green and Sonya Goodlad from the great QMS days. I am VERY fortunate to experience many special"God" moments in each day!

Until next time ENJOY your arrival of Fall. Here, Winter has started!

2 comments:

Elaine Polley said...

Hi, Cynthia,
I'm so much enjoying reading about your fabulous adventure. Don't burn yourself out, mind. I don't remember Debbie Hallett. If she remembers Cheryl, she must be a few years younger than I am. But say hello to her for me from a fellow Newfoundlander, anyway. You're meeting so many people! What a rich experience you are having! I'm so happy for you.
Love,
Elaine

Anne said...

Hi Cynthia,
Wow, are you ever having a time! What a pace! I honestly can't imagine how you'll find time for company, but maybe they can amuse themselves most of the time? Has it snowed there yet?

By the way, Isabelle got a job at CBC radio- associate producer of the afternoon show Radio Active, temporary but could lead to more!! And is working weekends as box office supervisor at Citadel Theatre, too! What a kid!
Love,
Anne