Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Arrival in Inuvik!!

After a flight from Toronto, I spent last night in Edmonton. My flight this morning left at 7:30 with 1 stop in Norman Wells, where a large number of passengers deplaned to set off for oil and gas jobs offshore and in the community itself. It is not a "residential community", as such, but serves industry. From the moment I arrived in the HUGE lineup this morning for Canadian North Airlines, I was struck by the diversity and friendliness of everyone. There were people heading up to visit family who live North,industrial workers,media coverage people for the Prime Minister's visit here with Cabinet, RCMP officers,(If you are reading this Bob, I saw 2 shirts like the one you gave Uncle Jimmy on Sunday!),professional people on 1-2 day business trips, and OF COURSE many teachers who all(including ME) report for 2 days of meetings tomorrow and Friday.
My first impression of landing here and seeing the topography, is SO much like portions of the Avalon Peninsula home in Newfoundland. For all my Nfld. family and friends, it reminded me of the drive from St. John's to Whitbourne on the TCH. My hook-up installation person for my internet this afternoon was from Heart's Content- he agrees with me. Of 3400 people here in Inuvik over 400 are Newfoundlanders! That gives me comfort.
I sign off for now from the " Land of the Midnight Sun" where the sun is shining brilliantly on"Big Lake"-a wonderful view from my apartment windows.

2 comments:

Roma said...

Hi Cynthia,
So glad to know you arrived safely!You will be fine if there are 400 newfoundlanders there!This blog is a great idea.Look forward to your updates.
Love,
Roma

stephanie said...

Hey MOM,

I'm thrilled to hear that you arrived safely and that you're doing well (not surprising!). It is uniquely beautiful there isn't it?? I am so proud of you and can't wait to get caught up on your adventure thus far. I am off this weekend (finally) so give me a ring!

Thinking of you,

Love,

steph